Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

7 months bunny ate ~12 baby leaves of Schefflera plant one

Customer Question

7 months bunny ate ~12 baby leaves of Schefflera plant one hour ago. I don't see any reactions yet. Are baby leaves less poisonous ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the bunny ate?
Customer: Yes. I brought the plant from outside at 4:00. It had more than a dozen of new baby leaves growing back ( i cut it to bottom because of bugs.leaves were coming back .) Only a few leaves are left.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bunny?
Customer: Got neutered 6 weeks ago. Went oerfect. 7 months bunny very healthy. American Chinchilla rabbit.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising rabbits. I'm sorry to hear of this incident. How toxic this plant is depends on the amount ingested. If it was a very very tiny amount, perhaps nothing will happen. It doesn't matter if the leaves are baby or mature, but only the total amount consumed. If your rabbit ate enough, you can expect to see diarrhea, appetite loss, lethargy, and in larger amounts, kidney damage. The kidney damage is a result of calcium oxalate in the leaves. Again, it all depends on the amount eaten.

Usually, toxic reactions show up within ten hours. There isn't much you can do on your own, except give activated charcoal if you have some. You can buy it in pharmacies. Mix it with water and syringe feed it. I would also feed him grass hay. The fiber can push the leaves through more quickly. You'll have to make a decision. You can use charcoal and hay, and watch him closely. If any symptoms appear, you'll have to go to an emergency vet right away. The other option is to see a vet now to have the stomach contents lavaged out. This link will take you to a directory of rabbit vets:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

If you have more questions, let me know. I hope that whatever you decide to do, your bunny will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna