Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I have two fish that need help... living in separate

Customer Question
tanks... One fantail goldfish I was...
I have two fish that need help... living in separate tanks...
One fantail goldfish I was given by someone moving house... it has developed what looks like a tumour on its head and it is growing... with a couple of small blood spots on the tumour having developed over the last couple of days and one spot looks like it has broken the skin. It is swimming around and eating happily otherwise... I expect he will need to have the tumour removed and I have seen on youtube that this can be done...
The other fish is an albino (orange) common pleco (small variety) he was fine until my tank sprung a leak and I had to take him out and set up another tank... I think he may have gotten stuck under a piece of driftwood or other ornament as I was trying to clear the tank of ornaments etc and then fish... his other 4 catfish tank mates are fine... but he has developed brownish spots over part of his body and lost weight... although I have seen him go for the food and move around ok and his brownish spots appear to be fading... but it is apparent that he had experienced something and wasn't sure if some disease or from all the drama of having to move tanks in emergency...and I do want to see him recover if possible...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
9/28/2016
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and a fish keeper over 40+ years.

Let me address the Gold fish first. Tumors like this can be cancerous. Unless addressed bu an Aquatic Vet it will continue to grow a can reproduce with more cells spreading through the body. I am going to give you a list of Aquatic Vets that can treat gold fish. It is imperative in this situation to have him seen. These are Aquatic Vets in AU: http://www.thefishvet.com.au/

I wish I had better news on that situation, but it is best to have the fish evaluated hands on.

As Far as the Plecostomus, this sounds like he has some stress marks or possible bruises from all the moving and trauma he experienced. If the spots were white we would be looking at fungal issue. I would double check water parameters to be sure the Ammonia is at 0, Nitrites at 0, Nitrates at 20 ppm and the ph at 7.0. If the water parameters in the tank are off that can lead to more stress. At this point I would monitor him as long as he is eating and swimming normally.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician