Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our great dane was given Apoquel 16mg for excessive itching,

Customer Question

our great dane was given Apoquel 16mg for excessive itching, 1 every 12 hours. I just gave her 2 together. will it hurt her
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

How long ago was the second dose given?

How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 minutes, she weighs 82
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Is that in lbs or kilograms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pounds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
82 pounds
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if she is 82lbs and has had 32mg this is an overdose but less than a double dose. Therefore, in regards ***** ***** signs, this could cause gut upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, etc), could increase her thirst for the short term and cause lethargy.

Now with these in mind and since she had this so recently, we have a few options. We can monitor and treat any upset stomach signs but we could also err on the side of caution by inducing vomiting or using activated charcoal.

To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above of if you choose to just monitor, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this is an overdose for her size but not a severe one. The above signs would be our main concerns here. So, we can use any of the above to counter absorption or can choose to monitor, skip her next dose, and offset that gut upset over the next 48 hours.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
very good response time and detailed answer. I definitely would use again.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you my dear, :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please rate my service (using the stays above your text box) once you have all the information you need as this is only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you! : )