Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I have a Holland Lop bunny about one and a half years old.

Customer Question
She recently started losing the...
I have a Holland Lop bunny about one and a half years old. She recently started losing the fur around her eye. Any idea why?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bunny's name?
Customer: Cocoa
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cocoa?
Customer: No....she is a great little girl
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
9/10/2016
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 1 year ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I have Holland lops, and they are very personable bunnies. I'm working on some information for you and will post it as soon as I have it typed up.If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that until after I complete my response. Thank you.
Thank you for waiting. I appreciate your patience. There are several reasons why a rabbit might lose the fur around an eye. One of the most common is that there is a discharge from the eye. The dampness irritates the skin and causes fur to fall out. Eye discharges can be caused by infection, an abscess of a molar pressing on the eye from behind, or even a tumor behind the eye. This last one is extremely rare in a rabbit Cocoa's age.If there is no discharge from the eye, a skin infection is another likely culprit. Infections can be fungal or bacterial. The infection itself can lead to fur loss, but sometimes it is the result of the rabbit scratching because the area itches. Mites can also cause such scratching.To find out exactly what is going on Cocoa needs to be examined by a vet. The vet can take a close look into her eye, take X-rays if he suspects a dental problem, and do a skin scraping. After that proper treatment can be prescribed.Until you can get to a vet, there are a couple of things you can do to help Cocoa feel better. You can put a couple of drops of saline solution (the kind made for contact lenses) in the affected eye 2 or 3 times per day. If you can see any dried discharge around the eye, clean it gently with a warm wet cloth. Follow that with a protective thin layer of petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline, to soothe the skin. If you use a wood or corn based litter, switch to a paper based one, such a CareFresh.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope the problem will quickly clear up.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
If you don't have a vet, this site has a directory that will help you find one who is familiar with rabbits:
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna
Hello again. How is Cocoa doing? Do you need any additional information?
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist