Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

Gertie is a three year old Scottish terrier. She has been

Customer Question

Gertie is a three year old Scottish terrier. She has been diagnosed with a house mite allergy - her skin erupts in scabs which can be controlled with frequent baths in malaseb or exmarid shampoo - or a course of antibiotics Rilexine. She has always had a delicate stomach and has Wainwrights salmon and potato dry diet. She sometimes does not eat in the mornings but has grass and will vomit up a small amount of bile - when she has these events her toilet is bloody - she seems to "mouth" a lot as if she is producing bile from her stomach. Apart from all that she is always a lively and inquisitive person and not depressed.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What medication is she taking at this time?
2) Have any gastric protectants, antacids, etc. been used to try to calm the bile episodes?
3) How often are the bloody stools present?
4) Is there anything else to address today but the GI concerns that she's having?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. No medication at present - last medication was Rilexine two weeks ago also a swab was taken of infection around her mouth and this was diagnosed under microscope as a yeast infection.
2. No antacids or gastric protectants prescribed.
3. Rarely has bloody stools only after a vomiting of bile and grass eating episode.
4. Skin eruption can pop up anywhere - on her back at present but has also affected the inside of one ear.

Has your vet discussed the option of immune therapy injections which contain a small amount of what she's allergic to that is given to stimulate the body's response to it so that it does not react when exposed? I own a dog that is allergic to both house dust and house mites and this was the therapy we eventually tried that yielded results for us.

If not, I also have some other ideas on things to try.