Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My bunny is throwing up. She knocked her water off her cage

Customer Question
My bunny is throwing up...
My bunny is throwing up. She knocked her water off her cage and she hasn't had water all day and she started to eat and now she is throwing up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your bunny eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. Just her usual food but she ate really fast
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the bunny's name and age?
Customer: Lily. She's 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lily?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
8/20/2016
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to assist with Lily.

Can you tell me why or what she is doing to make you think she is Vomiting?

Is she eating?

What is her diet?

I may have more questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She knocked her water bottle off, and I had given her water about a day and a half ago. I don't know when it fell off but it's possible she has gone a day or two without water.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is making vomittinf noises, and vomit is covering and dripping from her mouth and nose area.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She was okay when I checked on her and her food bowl was empty. I fed her and she began to eat fairly quickly, that's when the vomiting started
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's eating regular rabbit food pellets with dried carrots that had been recommended for her from the pet store. She had been eating this for months with no problems

Does she get any fresh hay?

How much pellets is she getting?

Do you give any fresh veggies?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she gets fresh hay, usually a bowl full which is about 1 cup or so every day. We feed her fresh veggies every once and a while

A rabbit digestive system is that rabbits are not capable of vomiting. what you are seeing the food spilling out her mouth. Their body makes it impossible to vomit. Now we need to figure out what is happening with her. Can you look in her mouth and see if something is stuck in it? We need to start some fluids. You can use Pedialyte mixed with water 50/50 and give in small amounts by making a pocket at the side of the mouth and gently squeezing a couple of cc's at a time and allowing her to swallow. I also need you to look and see if she is passing Pellets. If she cannot eat and she is not passing pellets we may have a serious issue called GI stasis. Please go now and let me know if something is stuck in her mouth and if she is passing pellets. I will stand by.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see anything in her mouth. She hasn't passed anything that I'm aware of, but she seems to be recuperating
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She drank some water.

If she is not and has not passed stool that is a GI Stais. Rabbits have to have food going in to pass stool. When they stop passing stool the gut stops working and it can kill a Rabbit Rapidly. We need to take action if it is a GI stasis and there are no pellets of stool that are there. Please grind her pellets and mix with pedialyte and water mix I suggested. You can syringe fed the ground pellets to get food going in. She should have all the grass hay she wants available all the time. This is very important. Hay is fiber and helps with digestion and keeps the gut moving. Continue to give water and get the slurry going in so you can see her passing pellets. If you have some simethicone in the house you can give her a little and start a stomach massage. This is some information on GI Stasis: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Right now you need to grind the pellets into a powder and mix with water and syringe feed. we need to get her gut going. She will need to see a Vet asap, becuase if she is not passing stool, it can kill her.

Joan

Mylicon liquid or simethicone liquid can be given at 1-2 cc every hour for up to 3 doses. This relieves gas which I suspect was the noise you heard and thought she was vomiting. Do you have any questions about the directions I am giving? Please hit reply so we can help lily if this is a GI Stasis.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We don't have any mylicon or simethicone liquid, but she is is eating, and I massaged her abdomen.

Good job with the massage it helps relieve gas in the intestinal tract, make sure she has plenty of hay and water. She cannot get enough hay. When she hits 8 months old she will only get 1/8 cup of pellets 1/8 - 1/4 cup of fresh veggies and all the hay she wants. I will give you a diet sheet for her:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

Fresh veggies are much better than died carrots because they have lost nutrition.

My goal is help help you and Lily with accurate and up to date information. I strive to give you excellent service and earn a 5 star rating. If I have done this please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. If you have any questions please hit reply.

Joan

How is Lily doing? Was concerned with that close call last night. Please let me know if she is better today.

Joan

Checking in on Lily. It has been a while since we talked. Did you have her checked out by a Vet? Please let me know how she is doing.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician