I have a problem with my aquarium water turning a milky

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer:

i have a problem with my aquarium water turning a milky cloud overnite, I tested the water two times with very excellent readings from two separate kits can you help? This is a freshwater aq  60 gal  gravel  and live plants.

Answered by Anna in 2 hours 6 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome. I was just ready to log off for the night when I was notified of your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem. I realize it is late, but I'm going to ask for some additional information that may help us figure out what is going on with your tank. You can reply tomorrow, and I'll check then for your response.Is this a new tank, or one that you've had for awhile?How many times has this cloudiness happened?What kind of gravel do you use? Is it new?What kinds of ornaments do you have in the tank?What size is the tank?How many and what kinds of fish do you have?Thank you.
Customer

NO,this is not a new tank,the cloudiness has happened 2 times before this I have had this setup for 3 years it is a

48" L x 24" h x 12 "w = 60 gal with standard gravel 3/4 to 1" level, 1 small driftwood, 1- 6 " artificial log, 3 medium size rock with large holes and 3 small rock with holes some 1" and smaller round river rock, 2 slim tall live plants and three small live plants, 1 6 x 6" ornament, 3 - 2" cichlid, 6- 1/2" cichlid, 1-betta, 3-bottom feeders, 3- silver dollars,4-tetras and have had all since set up . I feed frozen worms alternately and routinely cichlid pellets and tetra crisp and flakes I have 2 air bubble blocks under rocks and 2 whisper 40 power filters. the ph today was 7.6 /7.4h , amonia 0.5pm, nitrate 0.I apply 1/4 cup api aq salt monthly and 6 tsps tetra easy balance for maintenance. I hope this helps.

Thank you for getting back to me. I am currently away from my computer and working from a phone because I'm waiting for a doctor appt. when I get home, I'll respond to you. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you for waiting. Again, I appreciate your patience. There are several possible causes of cloudy water under the circumstances you described. If you turn off the filters to clean or replace the media, turning them back on releases tiny air bubbles and dust that clouds the water. Adding chemicals, including those that change the pH, add beneficial bacteria, or contain calcium often result in temporary cloudiness, too. When water quality is good and nothing has been added, the most common cause is microscopic air bubbles.You do have some ammonia in your water. It isn't enough to make your fish sick, but is enough to cause a bloom of harmless bacteria. These bacteria cloud the water. They feed on ammonia. When the ammonia is gone, the bacteria die off, and the cloudiness disappears until ammonia builds up again. This is another possibility.None of these causes of cloudy water pose a threat to your fish. If you don't like looking at the cloudy water, you can buy additives in pet shops that will clear it up. However, the cloudiness will return when the original cause returns - whether that be turning off the filters, new media, additives, or ammonia.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope this information helps.Anna
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.