Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I'm having problem with ammonia and nitrate in my koi pond,

Customer Question

I'm having problem with ammonia and nitrate in my koi pond , I already did 3 water change , ammonia an nitrate are lower but still there.
Should I empty the pond completely , do a good cleaning and refill with city water?
It is very warm outside 90F
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.As of your last test, what numbers did you get in parts per million for ammonia and nitrites?If you are using well water, please run a test on it straight out of the faucet. What numbers do you get?Is this a newer pond or has it been established for some time?How many gallons is your pond?How many koi do you have and what sizes are they (inches from mouth to tip of tail)?Thank you.