Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My dwarf hamster keeps biting s tail and it looks horrible

Customer Question

my dwarf hamster keeps biting his tail and it looks horrible its bloody and he is also biting his butt and around his tail
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** his a couple months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Grason?
Customer: one of my other dwarf hamsters bit his tail and that is when he started biting it bad
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been causing this damage?

Was there a trauma or abnormality with the tail to start?

Any issues passing urine or feces?

Can you take a photo of the damage? If you can do so and post them, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.