Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

Have a pond goldfish that appears very much egg bound. very

Customer Question
active, eats well, etc....
Have a pond goldfish that appears very much egg bound. very active, eats well, etc. No sign of dropsy/pine cone (which we have dealt with before). she seems to keep getting bigger. Can anything be done?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/19/2016
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 1 year ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear your goldfish is having a problem. I just want to let you know I'm working on your answer and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I'll be back shortly.

Thank you for waiting. Did you ask your question twice by accident? I answered it here in the fish category, then saw an almost identical one in Pets. I did answer in both places.

The best thing you can do on your own is provide special baths. A bath is where the fish is placed in a special solution for short periods of time, then returned to the pond. The goal with baths is to have the fish lay the eggs or reabsorb them. Epsom salts are the only thing that has been found to help with that. Most goldfish keepers use 1 tablespoon of Epsom salts per gallon of water. Leave the fish in the bath for 15 minutes each day. I wouldn't add any Epsom salts to the tank. Instead use Maracyn according to the package directions to prevent infection from any retained eggs. You can also feed her thawed and peeled frozen peas. The Epsom salt baths, Maracyn in the main tank, and feeding peas will be the only measures you can take.

If you want to consult an aquatic vet, more can be done. There are hormones that can be give to cause her to pass her eggs. Pituitary extract is one. There are two other hormones that are also used to induce spawning. They are luteinizing release hormone and HCG ( a human hormone). All of the hormones are by prescription only, and have to be obtained from a an aquatic vet. The hormones are injected. You can read more about them here:

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/Dystocia.htm

Here is where you can find a fish vet:

http://www.aquavetmed.info/index.cfm?PID=6

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope that whatever you decide to do, your goldfish will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Hello again,

I'm just checking to see how things are going. Did the Epsom salts bath help your goldfish?

Anna

Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist