Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

There was a nest of five bunnies in my flower bed and today there is just one in the nest.

Customer Question
I believe he is smaller...
There was a nest of five bunnies in my flower bed and today there is just one in the nest. I believe he is smaller than the other ones. He is shaking very hard. What can I do to help him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bunny's name?
Customer: I haven't given him a name. We can call him Peter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bunny?
Customer: Just that he is shivering and very small. I have been watching the nest for about five days
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
6/29/2016
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 1 year ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years experience raising rabbits. I also maintain my yard as a certified backyard wildlife habitat. It is very kind of you to want to help this little bunny.I suspect you won't like what I have to say, but I believe you deserve honesty. Rabbits of any kind have a relatively high mortality rate among babies. Even in domestic rabbits given the best of care, it is normal to lose about 10%. This is due to a variety of reasons, but most commonly it is because some are just born with weaker immune systems. In some cases, the mother doesn't produce bough milk for all of them. When that happens, we can try bottle feeding, but it's almost never successful. Baby bunnies that are much smaller than their litter mates often simply don't survive. In wild rabbits, it is estimated that only one in ten lives to adulthood. The same is true of all birds and wildlife, from robins to foxes.That being said, I understand you have watched these babies and would hate to see one die. Wild bunny babies are on their own once they leave the nest. They eat grass, clover, dandelions, etc. The mother no longer feeds them. The fact that this rabbit is shaking tells us that it either is cold or dehydrated. If you want to try to help, bring it inside in a box. If there's fur and grass in the best, ***** ***** to line the box. You can pick the kinds of plants I named above and offer them to the bunny. To keep him warm, put some plain uncooked rice
I hit send before I meant to. I'll post the rest as soon as I have it typed up.
Put some plain uncooked rice in a clean sick. Microwave it for about a minute to get it warm. The exact time will depend on your microwave. Put the heated rice sock in with the bunny. Make sure it's not hot enough to burn him. If he stops shaking, you can assume he was cold. You can rewarm the sock as needed. If warmth doesn't help, he may be dehydrated. You can give him Pedialyte from a syringe into the side of his mouth. Don't put it straight down his throat as that leads to aspiration into the lungs. Give only a drop at a time and wait for him to swallow.If the bunny will not eat, you can try syringe feeding him. A mix of 1/2 kitten replacer (sold in pet stores) and 1/2 goat's milk is the closest substitute to rabbit milk. Feed only once or twice per day - that's how often mother rabbits do. Chances of successfully raising a rabbit this way are very slim.Another option is to turn the bunny over to a wildlife rehabilitator. They would evaluate him, raise him if possible, or humanely euthanize him if he isn't capable of surviving. If you don't know of a rehabber, give me your state and I'll find one.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well.Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist