Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and Fish keeper for over 40 years.
Have you checked the water parameters?
What type of test kit are you using?
What is the ammonia, Nitirites, Nitrates and Ph?
How did you treat the water?
The Pet shop sold you too small a tank to start with ofr a gold fish. They require 15-20 gallons per gold fish. What you are describing is Ammonia and Nitrite poisoning. You need dto do a 35% water change immediately using a dechlorinator. The water needs to be tested at least once to twice a day until the water is cycled. I would take the 6 gallon tank back and get the correct size. You need an API master test kit. The water should be Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20ppm or less and PH at 7.0. any higher can kill the fish. The cycling takes about 6 weeks. I suggest adding some Nitrifying bacteria to help the tank cycle and 1 teaspoon full of aquarium salt per gallon of water to help the fish. It acts as a tonic. This is some information on New Tank Syndrome: http://www.firsttankguide.net/newtanksyndrome.php If the tank evels are high do a 25%-35 water change and only replace the amount of aquarium salt for the amount of water removed.