Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

She is wobbly and bloated. I'm sorry. Teddy bear hamster. She is a hamster. She is shaky when walking. She looks bloated.

Customer Question
She is wobbly and bloated JA...
She is wobbly and bloated
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: I'm sorry. Teddy bear hamster
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes. She is a hamster
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the teddy bear?
Customer: She is shaky when walking. She looks bloated. She is trying to socialize and clean herself
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Her front paws are fine. She seems to be dragging her back legs.
JA: What is the teddy bear's name and age?
Customer: Audrey
JA: How old is Audrey?
Customer: And she is almost 2 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Audrey?
Customer: No. She has always been healthy and happy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/15/2016
Pet Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Does her bloated belly feel fluidy or firm?

Can she use/move her back legs at all?

Is she still eating/drinking?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She has had these signs noticed today.yes she is moving , trying to resume her normal activities but not accomplishing task very well. She is panting alot. She tries to eat and drink and groom
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't see gums
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
back legs move slowly

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about your wee lass.
Abdominal distension in hamsters is often a serious issue. At Audrey’s age, we’d be particularly concerned about internal infection (ie peritonitis), ascites (fluid leaking into the abdomen because of heart/liver/low protein related diseases) a cyst or even a tumor. As well, if she cannot use her back legs, this would raise concerns of spinal issues or nerve compression from this plus a possible distended bladder from spinal paralysis (less likely if she has a bit of movement.

With this all in mind, even though she is mentally normal, we do need to tread with care. Especially since distension can lead to secondary respiratory distress which the panting does suggest. Therefore, in this situation, it would be ideal to have her seen by her vet at this point for a check +/- ultrasound. This will allow us to determine the nature of the issue. If it is an infection, then antibiotics might be helpful. If it is a cyst, these can be drained but if it is a tumor then her prognosis is very poor. And if she has fluid suggestive of heart disease, then there is the potential to treat but with it being this far advanced, we'd be concerned that she'd have a guarded prognosis overall.
Overall, I am quite worried about the signs you are reporting with Audrey as they do raise some serious concerns. Therefore, we’d be best to have her checked to determine if this is something we can treat for her or if we need to let her go.

If you don’t already have an vet, you can find one near you at http://www.aemv.org/index.php/members/vet-locator . If you are struggling, then also check http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html or http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/ as these vets usually will see pocket pets as well.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )with the service you seek. If you are satisfied, please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for my assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you
I appreciate your help.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian