Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My outdoor pond koi fish as dying. Before they die they

Customer Question

My outdoor pond koi fish as dying. Before they die they become lathargic and seem unable to swim. Their tails are at or slightly above water level and their heads are lower in the water. Two have died and two others appear to be dying, what can I do?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear that you are losing koi. When fish swim like that, it means there is a gill problem, but we can't treat it until we know the cause. It can be related to the water, bacterial, fungal, viral, or a parasite. So, I apologize in advance that I have to ask you a number of questions to try to get to the source.Have you introduced any new fish in the last year?What is the water temperature? The water pH?Have you tested the water? If yes, what numbers did you get in parts per million (ppm) for ammonia and nitrites?Will the fish eat?Do their gills look too red or abnormal in any other way?Are there any red splotches on their bodies?If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that just yet since we are only beginning. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nitrates appear very high, but the other chemicals appear ok. I did water lettuce and hyacinth and another plant I purchased on line. The gills are not inflamed nor and any red spots on the body. The fish are eating.