Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I have a 2 year old rabbit that has been eating and happy.

Customer Question
He stopped eating 7 days...
I have a 2 year old rabbit that has been eating and happy. He stopped eating 7 days ago and is not interested in his usual food.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
5/14/2016
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in small exoitics.Can you tell me if the rabbit has eaten anything at all?Is the Rabbit passing stool?Is the rabbit passing urine?What is the Diet?Do you feed grass hays?Joan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes, he has eaten small amounts of chopped carrots.
Yes, he is passing stool.
Yes, he is urinating. I have checked his litterbox daily.
He gets fresh timothy hay and fresh chopped vegetables (carrots, sweet peppers, celery, different types of lettuce)
I don't know what a grass hay is
Grass hay would be timothy hay. As long as he is passing stool we are still safe. He may be having a dental problem. Usually if a rabbit is not eating it is a hair ball or dental issue. I would start grinding some of his pellets and mix with pedialyte and start to syringe feed. Rabbit have to have food going in. When the stop eating you are looking at a possible GI Stasis. This is when he stops producing stool. The gut stops working and death is in hours. Since you say he has not eaten in 7 days I urge you to have him into a Rabbit savy Vet to find out what is happening before this becomes a GI Stasis. This is a Vet list by the house rabbit Society: http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/ This situation is very Dangerous for Orlando's health. Please let me know if you have further questions.Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician