Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My rabbit had a bit of trouble pooping but improved now.

Customer Question

Hi my rabbit had a bit of trouble pooping but improved now. However seems like he hasn't pee-ed since morning
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: Jerry. He's abt 4.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jerry?
Customer: He actually saw the vet earlier today but I forgot to mention the urine. Xrays showed a slightly bloated caecum. Kidney function was normal.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was given intravenous meoclopramide n ranitidine. But he still hasn't peed though he has pooped a little
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising rabbits. I'm sorry to hear your rabbit is having some problems, but it sounds like your vet has taken appropriate measures. How often a rabbit needs to pee depends on several factors, so some additional information will be useful.Has he been straining as if he needs to pee, but can't?Has he been drinking normal amounts of water?Is he eating well? Has he had any vegetables today?If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that just yet because we are just beginning. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was eating ok but after meds last night not so much. Don't really see him straining to pee though.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. If he's not having trouble peeing, that is trying to pee, but can't, this is probably not your biggest worry. Not eating very much is a huge concern, and I suspect he is not drinking very much either. If he isn't taking in water and isn't eating fresh foods, his body is probably not producing very much pee. I have a recommendation for you. If you can find some Oxbow Critical Care in a pet store that would be the best thing. If you can't get that, crush some plain pellets into a fine powder. You can do that in a blender. Then mix in water to make a slurry. Feed it to Jerry from a syringe. Put the syringe in the side of his mouth, not straight down his throat. Wait for him to swallow, then give him more. Also, buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for sick children). Using the syringe in the same way, give him some Pedialyte once per hour. After you do this for a few hours, he should begin peeing again. If he doesn't, it would be best to call your vet again.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Jerry will be fine.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!