Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My Koi 10 years old about 2feet long spawned and or is still

Customer Question
spawning seem to be dying...
My Koi 10 years old about 2feet long spawned and or is still spawning seem to be dying she is going under sideways and sometimes upside down. is there something I can do to bring her back. Thank, Kris
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
5/10/2016
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 1 year ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello Kris and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish and pond keeping. I'm sorry to hera your koi is having a problem. Sometimes when a female is exhausted from spawning, she won't have the energy to swim normally and will appear in distress. If that's what is going on, she will recover after she finished spawning. If any males are still bumping her, you may want to carefully remove her to an isolation tank to recuperate. A large RubberMaid tote can work. It should be filled with water from the pond, and then treated with pond salt at the rate of one teaspoon per gallon of water. If she doesn't quickly recover, she may have been injured during spawning. The males get quite rough because that is what induces the females to lay eggs. The females are often banged against the sides of the pond and into rocks or decor. It's not unusual to lose females from this. Again, the isolation tank with salt is the best thing to do. If you wnat to get the best possible outcome, you may want to consult a koi vet. The vet can determine if she still has eggs inside her or if there is some other condition, such as an injured swim bladder causing the problem. This link will take you to a directory of fish vets: http://www.fishchannel.com/setups/ponds/koi-fish-veterinarians.aspx If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope all your koi needs to recuperate is some rest. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
How is your koi doing? I hope she was just exhausted, and is better today.
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist