Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

Anna, I just posted a follow-up question about phase 2 of

Customer Question
Hi Anna, I just posted...
Hi Anna, I just posted a follow-up question about phase 2 of your suggested treatments on the website and it required my credit card again and now won't let me change my password...so I'm not sure how to make sure my question reaches you...hopefully this works and I don't have to pay again since seeking clarification on your first recommendation. Thanks, ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
5/10/2016
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 1 year ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Randy, I'm having trouble with the site today, too. It's very buggy. I did respond to a question from you this morning. It is here:http://professional.justanswer.com/expertmobile/question/d033c978583f44ba8e1851f3d5a881c2If you posted a follow up after that, it isn't showing up. If that's the case, try posting it again on this question. If you are charged for both questions, we can send one of them in for a refund.I apologize for the problems. The situation has been going on for several days, and is very frustrating.Anna
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please text me your answer since site won't let me see it.
JustAnswer only allows texting and phone calls through the site, and there's an extra fee. I have to follow the rules. I'll re-type what I write here, and hope that you can see it.You have tried just about everything for this sore, including very potent fish medications like the one that turned the water a different color. Since nothing has helped, I suspect this isn't an ordinary sore. There are a couple of possibilities. It may be a tumor that began growing internally and is now pressing outward. Tumors, both benign and cancerous, are common in fish. In larger fish, like koi, aquatic vets can surgically remove them, but that isn't possible with a betta. Fish often live normally for quite some time with tumors. The older your betta is, the more likely this is to be a tumor.The other possibility is a parasite. This is more likely if you have placed live plants in the bowl. You can email a photo to [email protected] and ask them to get it to me, if you'd like me to take a look.As for BettaFix, it can't hurt anything to try it after doing a water change. It's a good medication, but it's not available in most areas, so I don't usually recommend it first. However, given all the meds you've tried already, I doubt it will help.You definitely don't want to use all of the medicated foods at once. The various antibiotics can interact and make your betta even sicker. I would choose just one. Look for one that treats both gram positive and gram negative bacteria. That will cover all the bases.I hope you'll be able to see this. If not, I'll have to see if customer service can help.
I just got the pictures - thank you. This looks most like a tumor to me. Because the scales have come off, that leaves the skin open to infection, but right now, it doesn't look like any is present. I would continue to use aquarium salt at the rate of one teaspoon per gallon of water. The salt is soothing and can inhibit bacteria, without the risk of side effects. If redness appears on the sore, that's when you'll want to treat with an antibiotic. Your betta looks healthy in every other respect. His fins are full and upright>It appears he is active and he seems to be eating well. A fish with an infection or ulcer that has gone on for weeks or months will get sick. If this happens to be a cancerous tumor (benign ones are more common in fish), it will eventually cause him to be ill, and there won't be anything you can do about it. If it is benign, it will probably continue to grow, but in itself, will not cause illness. Benign tumors often get big enough to interfere with balance or swimming, but that can take a long time. I know this isn't what you want to hear - you would have preferred that this be a well-defined infection with a simple treatment. But I believe you deserve honesty. Continued treatment - unless you see actual signs of infection on the tumor- is a waste of time and money. Chemicals that aren't really needed are hard on fish, too. I do hope it will be a long time before this causes him any real problems. Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist