Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

Can I send a picture of my fish's problem?

Customer Question
Can I send a picture...

Can I send a picture of my fish's problem? Outdoor pond. More than one of my Koi have a raised growth on its body.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
4/20/2016
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 1 year ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear your fish has a problem. Yes, you can send a picture. Just click on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will pop up.We may experience some delays in communication with each other because the fish category here on JustAnswer is experiencing some technical problems. I want to assure you that if that happens, I'm not ignoring you but will get back to you as soon as I'm able to access your question.If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that just yet because we are only beginning.I'll keep an eye out for your pictures. Thank you.Anna
Thank you for the pictures. I hope this information comes through to you. These growths look like they are viral in nature. There are several viral diseases that can be difficult to differentiate based on a photo. However, we don't need to distinguish between them because there is no treatment for viral diseases. I'll tell you about the possibilities.Carp pox is caused by a virus in the herpesvirus family. It causes white or pink waxy bumps in various sizes. Some will disappear. New ones may show up. There is no cure for it, but the affected fish seem to live healthy normal lives with it. It is believed that most koi have been exposed to it, but have built up a resistance to it so they don't become infected. If they are stressed, an outbreak can occur.Lympho is short for lymphocystis. It is another viral infection. Cells increase to may times their normal size, and eventually burst. Lymphocystis must run its course. There is no treatment for it. Some over-the-counter medications claim to treat it, but in reality, the disease simply runs its course, making it appear the medications worked. Lymphocystis is seldom fatal, and when it is, it is due to secondary infections that occur.A papilloma infection is the third possibility. This is related to the warts humans get.The biggest danger is a secondary infection. You can help prevent that by making sure your water is perfect. You want no ammonia or nitrites at all. You can also add some aquarium salt at the rate of one teaspoon per gallon of water.If any of the growths seem to be eating into the flesh, you will be looking at a secondary bacterial infection. If that happens, you can treat with an antibiotic such as Maracyn or Melafix. Otherwise, all you can do is let these viral infections run their course. Both carp pox and papilloma can go on indefinitely, while lympho will eventually disappear.If you have more questions, let me know. I hope this information helps.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Hello again. How are things going? Do you need any additional information?
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist