Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

We have a 3 year old mix chiwawa and all of a sudden he has

Customer Question
been waking up with like...
we have a 3 year old mix chiwawa and all of a sudden he has been waking up with like these bumps on his back- he acts very strange hyper like...then seem to go dormant and but then next morning the bumps are back.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
3/9/2016
Pet Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Were the bumps itchy?

Any new plants they are being exposed to in the park?

Any new foods or house products (sprays, laundry soap, carpet powder, etc) they are being exposed to?

Can you take a photo of these bumps? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paperclip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi there
not any new plants at park, or food etc in the house. I can take a pix when i get home if that works? he doesnt itch itch but he runs around and like trying to get it off of him and wants to be picked up.. that seems to calm him.

Thank you,

If you can post a photo once you are home, that would be grand. Even if I miss you and am away for the evening, I will have a peek tomorrow morning to see what you are seeing with Spike.

In the meantime though, even if he isn't itching, the running away does make me suspicious that they are irritating him. And to see lumps suddenly arise and agitate a dog, is highly suspicious of an allergic reaction to something he is contact with either in his environment or something he has eaten).

Therefore, while you can try the shampoo or even use an emollient one ie Episoothe, oatmeal based one), I would suggest using an antihistamine as well (though we do sometimes use long acting steroids for severe cases). Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like it can with people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

So, I'd be keen to see Spike's lumps but they do sound allergic in nature. Therefore, further to bathing him, I would suggest a trial on an antihistamine to see if we can just settle this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok will get the antihestimine tonight and post pix.. its just strange that its only in the morning and its subsides ...is that normal?

Hi again,

It just depends on the allergic trigger. Sometimes they do come up at certain times when the exposure is high. As well, its not uncommon to see them bother dogs less during the day once they are distracted by all the sights/sounds/etc. of the day.

So, do have a try of that and post a photo when you can. And that way I can see what you are seeing and make sure we are on the right track for Spike,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will do..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also i dont know how much i should guve him he weighs about 5 lbs. benedryl lowest dosage is 25mg..

Hi again,

If he is 5lbs, then his dose would be within the range of 2.5-10mg. In that case, you can try splitting the tablets or the children's liquid version tends to be a much lower dose.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Hi again,

That does confirm our suspicions there as that is a typical appearance of hives secondary to an allergic reaction. So, we'd want to use the antihistamine and if they dont' settle with that every 8 hours, we'd need to seen his vet for a steroid injection to break this reaction for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i bought the childrens benedryl liquid last night it didnt go down very well(i need to buy a syringe- i will buy tonight and the dose is 7.5 is that enuff?

Hi again,

A syringe will make it easier to give. Is it the 12.5mg in 5ml strength? If so, you can start with 1ml but go up to 4ml as needed.

Dr. B

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is so start with filling the syringe up to 1 ml ? how many times a day?

Hi again,

Start with 1ml every 8 hours (3 times a day) for 24 hours. If you find he isn't really settling within a few hours of the first dose, you can give more since 1ml is the low dose. That way we are increasing as we need without just making him drowsy outright.

All the best,

Dr. B.

**I would be very grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian