Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My cat is 17 years old. He is deaf but other than that he…

Customer Question
My cat is 17...

My cat is 17 years old. He is deaf but other than that he has been in generally good health. A coupe of days ago he started walking sideways and its clear he has no control of his back legs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?

No. he mainly just sleeps

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Diamond

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Diamond?

Not really

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
3/6/2016
Pet Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does Diamond appearing weak and wobbly? Or does he drag either leg?

Does he have a head tilt? Any circling?

Any access to toxins, medications, or plants?

Any changes to his breathing, thirst, or urination?

weak and wobbly but does not drag either leg. not head tilt, circling, med's or plants. He sleeps mainly in the garage. Breathing, thirst and urination seem normal.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that he isn't showing any of those other signs nor has he ingested anything worrisome. If that is the case, this does allow us to rule out a number of worries for your lad. If he had we a spinal issue or blood clot, we'd have seen some of those signs I asked about. And if we had an underlying issue like kidney disease, thyroid issues, or diabetes; we'd have likely seen some of those other systemic signs.

With those aside, his signs, and ability to use those legs (even if wobbly), this does mean that our most likely causes for his signs are going to be related to arthritis +/- muscle strain. And both are very common to see at his age. Now in regards ***** ***** if he is struggling quite a bit, then we'd want to plan to have check with his vet to confirm our concerns and so that a cat safe anti-inflammatory can be dispensed for him (since human OTC options are dangerous for cats).

Otherwise, in the meant time, I'd note that there are some OTC options you can try to ease his sore joints/spine. First, you could consider trying glucosamine/chondroitin supplementation. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful with arthritis and can sometimes be just enough to take some of the discomfort away from his aching joints. Normally we give kitties 50mg glucosamine + 15mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, do consider trying this with him.

As well, we can find fish oil (omega 3+ 6) beneficial for cats with arthritis. This is a natural anti-inflammatory and can reduce inflammation in sore joints. Typically, we will give 90 mg EPA and 60 mg DHA per 5lbs of body weight. So, this too would be something to consider for him.

Finally, since sore joints often respond to warmth, you could consider offering him a heating pad to rest on. This way he can relax his muscles and joints and hopefully move better for us.

Overall, his signs do raise concerns that arthritis is causing him bother but does rule out a lot of our more serious worries for your lad. Therefore, we'd want to consider the above approach to keeping him comfortable and as mobile as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

If I was able to help you with your recent inquiry, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer since this is the only way I am credited for doing so (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply with any issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.