Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My 6 yr old male g pig had dark dry blood on both nipples...

Customer Question
My 6 yr old male...
My 6 yr old male g pig had dark dry blood on both nipples... what could it be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
3/5/2016
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist who has over 40 years of experience raising guinea pigs and rabbits. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. There area several possible causes of this symptom.

First, check to see if he may have injured his underside by scraping it on something. If he has, you can treat that by cleaning the area with Betadine (sold in first aid departments of pharmacies and discount stores). Follow that with a light application of plain Neosporin. The Neosporin would be repeated each day until the area is healed.

Nipples can become infected in both sexes. Leakage of fluid or blood is common with these infections. Treatment would be with a safe prescription antibiotic, such a s Baytril.

While injury or infection could certainly be responsible, the most common cause of blood from the nipples is a tumor. Tumors can be benign or cancerous. Guinea pigs are very sensitive to anesthesia, which makes them poor surgical candidates, but an experienced guinea pig surgeon can remove tumors safely. At age 6, your guinea pig is a senior, so if he has a tumor, you'll have to discuss the risks and benefits of removing it from an elderly guinea pig.

The best thing to do is schedule a vet visit. This link will take you to a directory of guinea pig vets:

http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your guinea pig will be just fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Hi Deb,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bsby. How is everything going?
Anna
The vet said it was a tumor. He had labored breathing & took Baytril but a few days later broke a front tooth off down to the gum & refused all food expect fresh grass (had dental work twice but could not tolerate it now - also lost muscle tone). There was no option except euthanasia, which was done Saturday.Thanks for your help!If I have an emergency with my Poodle is there a 24/7 number for you?

I You're welcome. I am so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing to end his suffering. It's always hard for us to do that, but is the kindest thing for our pets.

If you have a true emergency with your Poodle, the best thing to do is see your own vet or go to an emergency clinic during off hours. JustAnswer is available 24/7, and if I'm not online at the time, other experts will be. Again, I'm sorry for the loss of your Guinea pig. Anna