Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Customer Question
hello...
hello
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
3/3/2016
Pet Specialist: Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because you've had two guinea pigs pass away over the last week, another looks sick as well, and you have two more that so far seem normal.

With more than one sick we do need to think about contagious diseases, a toxin or a spoiled food source.

1. What sort of symptoms are you seeing before they pass away? Changes in breathing, eye or nasal discharge? Diarrhea?
  2. How long between getting sick and passing away?
  3. Did any of the sick pigs see their veterinarian? If yes were any medications prescribed?
  4. Or have you give any medications?
  5. Any recent changes in bedding, cage cleaning protocol, foods or treats or a new bag of something even if it is the usual food/treat?
  6. Are they getting a vitamin C supplement? If so how many mgs per day?
  7. Any new guinea pigs brought in? If so did that pig/pigs die or are they sick?
  8. Any other new pets in the home?
  9. Did you recently start using your furnace?

thanks for you patience with all of my questions, hopefully the answers will point us in the direction of a possible cause, and prevent further deaths.