Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

We just adopted a pair of four-month old kittens 3 days ago.

Customer Question

We just adopted a pair of four-month old kittens 3 days ago. We were told that Brady, the brother cat, had had feline herpes and were told to expect flare-ups during times of stress. He has sneezed a few times. I am more concerned about spells of repetitive gagging/retching.Each spell lasts 30-45 seconds, then he resumes playing. He had one spell the first day, two the next day, and today it has happened 4-5 times. He is eating, drinking, and playful between spells, and nothing ever comes up. Any advice?
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Carrington, thanks for your question.

When you adopted them and they warned you about herpes, did they offer you any paperwork to support this?

Cats are commonly exposed and have herpes, but the only way we can be sure that's what they have (and not something else) is to run an upper respiratory PCR panel on them. A lot of times, cats actually have more than one virus or bacteria that contribute to upper respiratory problems and I'll be happy to expand upon that in my reply. If a PCR panel was done, you'd have some paperwork showing this. Do you?