Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My male rat has begun to make constant chattering noise. s…

Customer Question
My young male rat has...
My young male rat has begun to make constant chattering noise. His brother who lives in same cage does not make any noise. The one making the noise is not eating much. This began today. It is not a sneezing aound
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
3/2/2016
Pet Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The chattering noise is that of teeth being ground down (bruxing/chattering). It's consistent with both pleasure and stress in ratsand so if Lyle isn't eating well, I would expect that his bruxing indicates the stress of being ill. Please check Lyle's respiratory rate at rest and compare it to his brother's. Let me know what you find, please.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lyle. How is everything going?