Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

We placed Sugar in a well cared hotel days while we were on…

Customer Question
We placed Sugar in...

We placed Sugar in a well cared for dog hotel for 8 days while we were on vacation. We placed her there a few times and never had a problem. Today we picked her up and was told yesterday she stopped eating, drinking and was not herself. We got her home and all she wants to do is lay on the bed. She threw up a very brown mucus and has diarrhea. She is also patting at times. She seems to have no bowel pain when I press. Sugar is a 13 yer old female mixed dog, I called the vet and was told to bring her in tomorrow. She passed her yearly physical with flying colors just 2 months ago. She has all her shots and is not coughing at all. Any ideas will help, Thanks Leone

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about The?

Her gums are not bleeding but have a brown tint to them. Her nose is warm and it seems like she might want to vomit again. She is not taking any water at this time

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
2/29/2016
Pet Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Is there any chance that Sugar can be attended to today instead of tomorrow? I'm concerned about her brown-tinted gums which can suggest methemoglobinemia (where the hemaglobin molecule becomes oxidized - usually due to exposure to certain chemical agents) or endotoxic states such as would be seen with serious gastrointestinal disorders - which might well be present because Sugar is anorexic, vomiting, and diarrheic. Time is of the essence in these patients. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

errata: "hemoglobin" molecule not "hemaglobin" molecule