PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My guinea pig has not been eating or drinking, and s eyes

Customer Question

My guinea pig has not been eating or drinking, and his eyes are crusty. Can you help?
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, Elzbieta. Thanks for your question.

Can you provide me with some additional information about your GP?

1) How long have you had him?
2) How long has he been avoiding eating and drinking?
3) Is he in with any other GPs?
4) When did the eye crusting begin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have him about 4 years. He is avoid of eating about 2 days and so long he have crusty eyes. He is the only GP

Chances are good that he has an eye infection with the crusty eyes. Sometimes this can be so painful that they will stop eating and drinking.

It's important to get him back to eating just as quickly as possible. If he does not start eating soon, he needs to see a vet to prescribe medication.

Right now, you can try gently applying a warm water compress with a washcloth onto his eyes. Eventually the crusting will break up and you can wipe it away. This, alone, may help him to better see and he may also respond to being handfed. Try different types of hay, grasses, leafy greens as well as fruits to stimulate his appetite. There's a comprehensive list available here: http://www.happycavy.com/what-can-guinea-pigs-eat/

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback for me. This is how experts are compensated for their time. If questions remain, please reply and I will help you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His eyes are not crusty anymore, I have wiped it with chamomile during the day. I try to feed him and give him the water , because he doesn't have appetite at all.I am just wondering what should I give him to eat to help him get out of the infection? Is there any natural way or maybe herbs that could help?

If they aren't crusty anymore, medication may not be needed. It's safe to use a saline wash in the eyes, but be cautious about chamomile and other extracts and oils. They can greatly irritate an already irritated eye. Some of them can also cause blindness. If the crusting does persist, the safest approach is to have an exam performed and antibiotic eye medications prescribed. As well, a natural approach does not address the fact that he is not eating or drinking. This can be a life-threatening symptom for a guinea pig.

There is more information available here on what can be safely used in the eyes: http://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html