Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Our year Koi is about 10 years old and was 21" in length. We…

Customer Question
Our year Koi is about...
Our year Koi is about 10 years old and was 21" in length. We found it dead in our outdoor pond. It had small red dots on its body. We noticed that another fish has some red round spots on it also. It also looked like a smudge.
We do put salt in the water. Any help is appreciated.
John and Kathy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
2/24/2016
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

Hello John and Kathy,

My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm so sorry for the loss of your koi. This is the time of year when we often see problems crop up in koi ponds. some additional information will be useful.

Was the smudge-like marking black in color?

Are their any red streaks - like blood vessels- on the tails or fins either fish?

Have you tested the water? If so, what numbers did you get in parts per million (ppm) for ammonia and nitrites?

Thank you.

Anna

The smudges were red in color. The red marks on about 1/4" and round. We no longer have our kit to test the water. We will have to get a new one.

Thank you for getting back to me. The most urgent thing to do right now is get a water test kit. Excess ammonia or nitrites in the water are a common cause or red smudges and marks. The paper strips you dip in the water are inaccurate, so buy a kit where you add chemicals to samples of water in a test tube. If water quality is a problem, this may be an emergency situation. I will watch for your test results. If it turns out you have zero ammonia and zero nitrites, we will have to look at some other less common causes of red marks.

We will get a kit asap. I have a question concerning the amount. Do I have to keep paying 36.00 a month. I cannot afford this but will pay for your time now. Should I contact you after we get the results for excess ammonia or nitrates?

You may have accidentally signed up for a subscription. You don't have to have a subscription to ask one question, but can just pay once. Customer Service will have to straighten this out. You can go to this page to reach them by phone, chat, or email: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help. Then reply to me again after you get your water test results, and we'll go on from there. Thank you.

Have you been able to get water test results yet?

How is the fish with red marks doing?