Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Can holistic medicine save my dogs life .Her kidneys levels…

Customer Question
Can holistic medicine save my...
Can holistic medicine save my dogs life .Her kidneys levels are high .The vet recommended on putting her down .
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
2/23/2016
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over twenty years of experience caring for my own dogs with integrative medicine. That means using the best of both holistic and conventional. I'm sorry to hear of your dog's kidney problems. Some additional information will help me determine if there is anything holistic that may help. How old is your dog? What symptoms does she have? How long has she had kidney failure? Thank you.

Hello again,

It appears you went offline without seeing my request for more information. Because I don't want you to wait any longer, I'm going to go ahead and answer as best I can without knowing those things.

Your dog's age matters because an old dog will not respond to treatment as well as a young one. A dog that isn't exhibiting many symptoms is more likely to improve than one who is very sick. The longer her kidneys have been affected, the harder it will be to get an improvement. You will have to consider these things as you read the information I'll give you.

There are holistic methods of treating kidney disease. One of the best is a product called Azodyl. It consists of special strains of beneficial bacteria that destroy the toxic products that build up in the body when kidneys fail. Many vets carry it, but you can buy it online without a prescription. Here's a link to the company's site where you can read more:

http://www.entirelypets.com/vetoquinol-azodyl.html?gclid=CNud5ZeUj8sCFQiJaQod9n0L8g

Diet is also important in managing kidney disease. Many vets no longer believe that low protein is necessary, but rather, high-quality protein is important. This site has an excellent page on both conventional and alternative treatment of kidney disease, including diet:

http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html

Royal Canin makes a kidney diet. It usually has to be purchased froma vet, but some pets stores do carry it.

If you want to try a homeopathic remedy as well, Urtica Urens 3X is recommended.

Herbal remedies have more potential for interactions and side effects. If you want to use them, it would be best to work with a holistic vet. Astragalus, parsley, goldenrod, and couch grass are among those often used. Milk thistle may also be beneficial.

You'll also want to continue with any treatments your vet has recommended, such as administration of fluids. Azodyl is probably the best of the holistic remedies, and it works well along with conventional treatments.

if this were my dog, the first thing I would do is get a second opinion from another vet. If that vet agrees with your present one, then it is likely that holistic treatments won't help. A holistic vet might be a good choice. Go to this site and click on the "Find a Vet" tab.

http://www.ahvma.org/

Kidney disease is very serious, and I would not try to treat it on my own. You need a vet you trust, whether holistic or conventional. If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you'll get good results for your dog.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!