Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My 6 week old kitten received a distemper shot sat. He is

Customer Question
eating and going potty as...
My 6 week old kitten received a distemper shot sat. He is eating and going potty as normal but drinking less. The vet gave us oral antibiotics due to temp of 103 at time of vacine. Tried twice..kitten gags thrashes head and drools all over. This evening hus jaw or like under tounge seems swollen and thick mucus (clear) drewling out. Energency or will pass? Never seen this before
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
2/23/2016
Pet Specialist: Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs replied 1 year ago
Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs

Hi, Michelle and welcome.

I'm sorry Boo is having a problem.

What is the name of the antibiotic?

Is it a tablet or liquid?

Please tell me how you are trying to give him the medication.

Is he breathing normally and what color are his gums? They should be light pink.

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a little time to type and send your detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Azithromycin susp 200 mg
Told to give .3 ml by mouth but cat wouldnt have it put in a little wet catfood
Breathing seems ok but i can hear some conjestion...had an occasional cough and fever when went to vet thus the meds
Gums light pink
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He still purri g when i pet him
Played fine
Keeps like smacking his chopps kinda prob from swelling annoyance

Hi again, Michelle and thanks for your very helpful reply.

When you give him the medication, go in from the side of his mouth, where there is an opening between the upper and lower teeth. Squeeze in a little at a time, from the dropper, and wait for a swallow after each bit. You can encourage the swallow reflex by gently rubbing his throat.

It would be best to wrap him in a big towel, to disable all four paws and have just his head sticking out (like a 'kitty burrito'). If you have someone to help you, one of you can hold him upright, against your chest, and one of you can administer the medication.

I'm glad to hear his gums are a normal color and he's purring and playing; however, if he sounds congested and had an occasional cough and fever, he probably has an upper respiratory infection (kitty cold).

The medication probably tastes awful and that's why he's drooling. The swelling inside the mouth, under the tongue or on the jaw could have been caused from the dropper, when you tried to give him the medication or he might have banged himself on something and incurred an injury.

For the moment, I'd watch the swollen area and if it worsens or any of his symptoms worsen, it will be time for an ER vet visit. Monitor him throughout the night and call your vet in the morning, if there are no worsening of symptoms and he's still eating, drinking, eliminating and playing normally. I realize you said he wasn't drinking that much, so try to follow the medicine with a dropper full of water and a small meal or healthy kitten treat to help get the taste out of his mouth.

He's smacking his chops due to the bad taste in his mouth and this can also be a sign of nausea from the taste of the medication.

Put him in a room with a humidifier to help with his congestion/coughing and you can also run a hot shower to steam up the bathroom and then sit in there with him for 10 minutes a few times a day.

Cats rarely eat food with medication in it, because they can smell it, so don't put it in food again, but try the method I suggested.

I hope all will be well with your Boo and watch that swollen area. Please let me know how he's doing, tomorrow. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Hi again, Michelle.

I'm just checking in with you to see how Boo is doing and if you had him seen by the vet last night or today. If you did bring him in, what was the cause of the swelling you noticed under his tongue or in his jaw area?

Were you able to get the medication into him with my suggestions?

Did the vet change the medication to a better tasting one?

Please let me know, as I'm concerned for him.

Thanks,

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs