Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

We have a bonded pain male guinea pigs each about 18 months…

Customer Question
We have a bonded...

We have a bonded pain male guinea pigs each about 18 months old. We've noticed they don't seem to be drinking much now. They did go a few days without veggies, but always have hay and pellets. They've eatten the carrots I gave them yesterday and the green peppers today. I noticed at least one of them is having lighter colored dry type of poo that is unusual. they both seem happy, we just don't have to refill their water right now. :(

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the guinea pig's name?

Choco and Pez

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Choco?

No, they are happy pigs. It just seems unsual

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
2/18/2016
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 2 years ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Can you tell me are you supplementing Vitamin C?

Are the guinea pigs eating well?

How is their output of urine, is it normal or excessive?

is the output of stool normal or less than normal?

Joan

We don't usually give them Vitamin C drops, just veggies everyday. They are eating fine. more hay than pellets lately. Urine is absorbed so quickly into fleece I'm not sure, Stool seems normal just lighter brown and dry looking.

Guinea pigs cannot manufacture Vitamin C in the body, so very important they receive extra Vitamin C daily. Without Vitamin C they are prone to scurvy and paralysis.

The water is just as important as food to them, so if they are not drinking and the stool is lighter and Dray in color this can be an indication of something going on in the intestinal tract. I would start supplementing the water via syringe using a 50/50 Pedialyte and water mixture. They do need fluids. See if this helps and the stool starts to look better. The stool can look anywhere from a black to a dark . This may be a result of no veggies and more hay. Give it a day or two with the supplemental fluids and veggies as well as the hay and pellets. If all is normal the problem was lack of veggies and a little dehydration. If it does not correct a Vet visit will be needed to be sure there is not something going on that needs to be addressed. You can read more about Guinea Pig poo here: http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68360

If I have addressed your concerns, please take amoment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan

Wanted to check in and see how you Guinea pig is doing. Is he any better? Did you see the Vet? Please let me know how things are.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician