Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I had to out my 6 year old weather loach in a QT tank

Customer Question
because the one goldfish died...

because the one goldfish died and leaked a milky red discharge in the water - he was suffering from swim bladder but peas weren't helping and I have a feeling it was organ related. The goldfish that was remaining started to get ich thus why I removed the loach because he can't stand the chemicals. The loach was showing no signs of illness until 3 days ago when he had ich appear. I've been treating him with paraguard and put a heater in the tank to raise it to around 75F which took about 2 days to raise it gradually. Now yesterday I found him floating and unable to stay on the bottom. Does he have swim bladder too? He refuses to eat anything. It seems his gills aren't moving - he has to keep going to the surface for air. I have an airstone in there which gives off plenty bubbles. I don't know how to help him. His QT tank is only 5 gallons and I unplugged the heater thinking it was stressing him out. He still darts around the tank, gulps air, then floats. Now the main tank of 29 gallons with the 1 goldfish I feel horrible about...when treating him I took the carbon out of the filter but in the process he got ammonia burns. I did water changes and just treated with melafix/pimafix and now they are black scales and he's gradually looking better but still sits on the bottom of the tank. This tank has been running for 7 years with no problems until the one died. Now its just a mess and I need help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/17/2016
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

Hello ,

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and a Fish keeper for over 40 years.

Can you tell me if the new tank was established before you added the loach?

Have you tested the water in both tanks?

What type of test kit are you using?

Is there any bloating?

Have you done any water changes?

Joan

Dr. Andy, Medical Director