Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have a South American lungfish. About 5 days ago I noticed

Customer Question

I have a South American lungfish. About 5 days ago I noticed one side of his face between his eye and gill looked swollen. I had just done a water change earlier in the day and he does startle easily when I do this, so I thought he might have bumped his head on a rock. The next day it looked almost like a swollen gland, but also looked a little pink, so I thought he might have developed an abscess. The skin is intact and there is no ulceration. All of the other fish are healthy. I went to three pet stores. Petco said it looked like an abscess. They said they don't carry antibiotics, but recommended an herbal product (Artemiss Microbe-Lift), stress coat, and aquarium salts. The second store didn't carry antibiotics and the owner told me he was not familiar with lungfish. The 3rd store (Allpets) did not recommend antibiotics because a lungfish doesn't have scales. He said to keep using what Petco recommended and if no better in 5 days, I might try erythromycin. Well, it doesn't look as pink, but the lump is still there and the size looks unchanged. It doesn't look worse. He is still eating, swimming, and coming up for air. My son left me in charge of his fish while he was abroad. He especially loves this lungfish. Should I just keep doing what I've been doing, or start an antiobotic?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and a Fish keeper for over 40+ years.

Could you please post a Picture of the fish and what you are seeing. I would like to have a Visual of the area to help me have an idea about the size and position.

Joan