Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

What can i give a pug who is two years of age and has

Customer Question

what can i give a pug who is two years of age and has symptoms of bronchitis coughing before seeing a vet to releave his symptoms
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Jose.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'd also have some questions I'd like to have you answer in order to help me help you better. I'll list them below.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
  • How long have you had Jose?
  • Do you have any other dogs?
  • Is he otherwise healthy?
  • Does he take any other medications?
  • Is he still eating and drinking okay and otherwise happy and active?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

While I await your response, I will type in the following important points:

• Firstly, it is important to take all coughing symptoms very seriously in a pug. Because of their pushed-in faces, they are much more likely to develop pneumonia or end up in a life-threatening respiratory emergency. This means he may need to see a vet sooner rather than later.
  • There are only two non-prescription cough relievers that are safe to use in dogs. One is the time-tested method of spending some time in a hot and steamy bathroom and gently thumping (coupage) the chest to loosen mucus. The extra heat and humidity can be surprisingly beneficial for a coughing dog.
  • The second is guiafenesin. I'll type in more information on this below...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Guaifenesin is largely a muscle relaxant, and it isn't usually very helpful for dogs who are coughing due to bronchitis. Sometimes it is combined in a cough syrup with dextromethorphan, and that can be a little more effective.

It is only with the greatest caution that I am giving you this information, because using these drugs may not be at all helpful or effective for your little pug. The best thing to do at home really is to increase humidity and use the hot and steamy bathroom trick. Encouraging fluid intake is also helpful.

Because there are a wide variety of cough syrups containing guaifenesin and dextromethorphan (and even other drugs as well) available over-the-counter in the UK, I would need for you to tell me what products you have available to choose from before I could explain how the dosing is done.

Also worth mentioning, whenever I have a patient with a mild infectious cough, I often direct them to take the herbal supplement Gan Mao Ling. This is done to optimize the health of the immune system so the the body can fight it off "naturally".

I hope this information helps to get you started. I'll look for a reply from you soon.