Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My rabbit has been off balance while now he's 6 years old.

Customer Question
Hi my rabbit has been...
Hi my rabbit has been off balance for a while now he's 6 years old. He's eating and drinking can this be ec?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
2/8/2016
Pet Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Yes, in fact encephalitzoonosis is often associated with neurologic disease in pet rabbits with reports of infection found in 50-75% of conventional rabbit colonies. Signs of this disease include behavioral changes, head tilt, nystagmus (eyes flicking back and forth), ataxia ("drunken sailor"), rolling, or seizures. It's important to recognize, however, that otis interna, pasteurellosis (important!) and other bacterial infection, cerebral larval migrans (roundworm migration), cranial or vertebral trauma, sondylosis, heat stress, and toxemia are also causes of those symptoms. If encephalitzoonosis is diagnosed, fenbendazole should be considered. This drug has been used as a potentially successful chemotherapeutic and prophylactic treatment at 20 mg/kg daily for 30 days. If Patches doesn't associate with other rabbits there would be no manner in which he could be re-infected. Here's a good review of pain in rabbits for you: http://www.rabbit.org/health/pain.html

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.