Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I live in North Andover, MA. I have a sm fenced back yard…

Customer Question
Hi Anna, I live in...
Hi Anna, I live in North Andover, MA. I have a sm fenced back yard with access in and out for am animals as the fence is old and has gaps. I also have a sm shed in my back yard where cottontails & skunk can be seen coming & going from underneath. I'm often welcomed from them as well, in my side yard, when arriving home from work. I love feeding the birds, tree squirrels & chipmunks that live here as well, but curious what (if anything) I can leave for the cottontails that roam my backyard at night. I've seen them taking up tree bark, is there anything else you'd recommend?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
1/23/2016
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I always love to hear from someone who provides wildlife habitat. Normally, in the winter, cottontails live on bark, twigs, and fallen leaves. I have seen them under my bird feeders, eating what the birds spill. What they will eat depends on what natural foods are available and how hungry they become during the cold months. The very best thing you could put out for them would be good quality hay. If you don't have anywhere to get a whole bale, you can buy packages in the rabbit department of pet stores. Another thing you can buy there that would be good for them is rabbit pellets - not the gourmet mixes, but plain pellets. Hay and pellets are nutritious, basic foods. If you'd like to give them an occasional treat, apples and carrots are good. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope these suggestions help. Anna

Do you need more information? Here's where you can get more information on providing backyard habitat for wildlife:

http://www.nwf.org/how-to-help/garden-for-wildlife/create-a-habitat.aspx

If I can offer additional help, don't hesitate to ask.

Anna

Please take a moment to rate my service so I may receive credit for my time. Thank you very much.

Hi Kiersten,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna