Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I gave her the benedryl about 15 minutes ago - how should I…

Customer Question
Hi - I gave her...
Hi - I gave her the benedryl about 15 minutes ago - how long should I wait?Absolutely - what would you like to know? I thought she had sustained a bug bite and was reacting to it - thats why the benedryl. But I can't find a bite anywhere on her. She just started acting nuts all of a sudden and when I picked her up her face was all swollen tight. She is breathing fine.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
1/17/2016
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 2 years ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I see you gave the dog benedrtl, the dosage is 1-2mgs per pound of body weight. Please make sure you gave correct dosage. I would not wait more than 25-30 mins before going to the ER. At 20 mins the Benedryl should be working, but with the fact of a 103 temp, the Dog should be seen at an ER asap. She has pups, so for the protection of her and the pups, she should be treated by the ER Vet asap.

Joan

You can use this link to locate an ER Vet tonight: http://www.vetlocator.com/advancedsearch.php Go to pet emergencies and put in the zip code to help find an ER Vet.

Joan

I urge you to have her seen asap tonight with the retained placenta and the high fever we may be dealing with infection or even Eclampsia.

Joan

Checking in to see how your girl is doing today. Hope she is better. Please let me know.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan