How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PitRottMommy Your Own Question
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Category: Pet
Satisfied Customers: 7825
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
Type Your Pet Question Here...
PitRottMommy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My pug gave birth to 6 puppies - all healthy two days ago.

Customer Question

my pug gave birth to 6 puppies - all healthy two days ago. She has been doing great. We knew that she did not pass one placenta from the first and half of one from the fourth. She has been active and there has been discharge. Now suddenly in the last ten minutes her face has swollen and she has hives. She has a temp of 103 - I used a cold compress and gave her benedryl - What can I do here at home - or do I need to go to the vet right now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am sorry for the delay in your question being answered. There are very few experts being on at this hour.

If the benadryl has not helped in the time since you've given it, I would take her to the ER. The risk of her having a reaction to something that could cause major issues for her and the puppies is high. When you take mom, go ahead and take the puppies with her so that they can be evaluated as well.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to issue a positive rating. If questions remain, please reply and I will help you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her eyebrows and cheeks have come back down again but her muzzle is still swollen tight. I know she kept that placenta from the 1st and partial placenta from the 4th. I have not seen her pass them - She has passed a lot of goop and dark blood colored stuff so it could have been there - Will she be ok tonight or do I need to find an all night vet and go now? her temp is 102.8
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

I would find a vet this evening and go now. Two things we're worried about here: retained babies, placentas, etc. can cause an infection and mom can become critical quickly, and (2) a true allergic reaction.

This could be a life threatening concern for her. If she were my companion, I would not delay. I would see a vet this evening and not wait for Monday morning.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cersei. How is everything going?

Related Pet Questions