Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Last tuesday my sons 9 years old english bulldog underwent…

Customer Question
last tuesday my sons 9...
last tuesday my sons 9 years old english bulldog underwent surgery for pyometra and mammary tumor removal. This was major surgery as he said she had many more tumors inside of her. She came home with massive incision staples and drainage tubes. The vet said that the first 72 hours post op where going to be the most critical. I have taken her back every single day post operatively, for her to receive laser treatment on her incisions to help them heal faster and reduce the pain, she receives I.V. fluids and antibiotic injections each day. She is recovering greatly! he removed her drainage tubes yesterday, she is eating small meals,and moving her bowels, but I keep on telling him that she is excessively thirsty and between the I.V. fluids and her excessive drinking, she has become incontinent. Every time I tell the vet I am concerned with this, he tells me that it is perfectly normal and it is her way of flushing the toxins out of her system. I really would like to get a second opinion on this particular part of her post operative recovery. She appears to be getting stronger every day, she no longer is being given the Tramadol she had been prescribed for pain, but I really would like to know if this excessive thirst is normal! Thank you in advance!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
1/16/2016
Pet Specialist: Dr. Deb, Animal Behaviorist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Animal Behaviorist

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Marley but glad to hear that she's doing so well post-op. As you probably know, not all dogs who develop a pyometra will have such a happy outcome.

As to her increased thirst, if her kidney values were elevated prior to the surgery (which is commonly seen with pyometra dogs), then this could explain her thirst and urination issues; it's not uncommon in these patients. In most cases, permanent damage isn't done to the kidneys and the patient will return to normal after a period of time (which is different for every dog).

However, it's also possible that something else such as urinary tract infection has developed which might explain her behavior.

If a urinalysis hasn't been done and she were my patient, this is what I would suggest. I would want to insure that I wasn't missing anything and just assume that it was normal. It certainly might be...and probably is under the circumstances....but I wouldn't want to let a uti go undiagnosed nor untreated.

I hope this helps. Deb