Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I think my bunny ate some carpet and has gastric stasis....

Customer Question

Customer: I think my bunny ate some carpet and has gastric stasis.... I don't have a specialty vet near by and can't take the day off of work... I have given her pedialyte and and carrot baby food up until about 3 this am.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is a little lethargic...last night her tummy was gurgling loudly, she has not urinated or had a stool since yesterday that I am aware of.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: certainly.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. In clinical practice, enteritis complex - with signs ranging from borborygymus (gurgling) to soft stool, diarrhea, to enterotoxemia, sepsis, and death - is one of them most common diseases of rabbits. Pathogenic bacteria and the factors that allow them to proliferate are the usual causes. These factors involve diet (including pica - the ingestion of non-food items such as carpet), antibiotics, stress, and genetic predisposition to gut dysfunction.

Simple cases of enteritis resulting in a soft or pasty stool as the only clinical signs may be caused by a minor disruption of cecal flora, pH, or motility. Simple correction of the diet, the addition of fiber in the form of hay, and removal of stress will often correct the problem. There doesn't appear to be evidence of enterotoxemia at this time which is caused by a toxin produced by Clostridum spiroforme. Adult rabbits are more resistant and generally require some dietary, environmental, or other stress for this bacteria to significantly alter a rabbit's normal cecal flora. It's best to avoid antibiotics in these cases and continue encouraging (or force-feeding if necessary) hay and other roughage which can be made into a gruel and given with a small poultry baster placed between her incisors and cheek teeth.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?