PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog just ate a whole syringe of teeth whitening gel

Customer Question

Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I'm so sorry to hear that Stella has done this.

Can you give me the name and variety of teeth whitening gel she consumed? A link to the product would be most useful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a brand name all it says is Teeth whitening gel, Dental Professional Strength, 12 % Hydroxide

Thanks for your response.

Because we do not have the brand name of this product, it makes it nearly impossible to determine what ingredients are in the gel. Unfortunately, dental products (especially tooth pastes and whitening gels) are often flavored with xylitol which is toxic to dogs.

Because of the risk associated with xylitol toxicity, death being the worst of all, I highly recommend taking Stella to an emergency clinic this evening. The highest risk of toxicity with dogs is in hypoglycemia, which can set in within an hour of consumption. This is not a situation where I would wait at home until your vet opens in the morning.

If you need help finding a facility that can see her this evening, please reply with your state and zipcode and I'll be happy to find a facility for you.