Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My ferret is probably seven years old. She has been healthy

Customer Question
My ferret is probably seven...
My ferret is probably seven years old. She has been healthy until about a week ago. She seems feeble and I think she is pulling her hair or it is falling out...I haven't seen her pull any hair but there are tuffs of it on the bottom of her cage....Is there anything I can do for her...Thank you, Jeanie
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pet
11/29/2015
Pet Specialist: Dr. Pat, Non-traditional pets replied 1 year ago
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Non-traditional pets

This is very serious.

Do you have a vet for her?

Has she been spayed?

Has she had vaccinations?

Has she had a check up recently?

What is her diet?

Ferrets commonly develop life-threatening endocrine disease, especially intact females. They can have adrenal problems, reproductive tract problems, and many other diseases that result in weakness, anemia, and a sudden decline.

Nutrition issues can also cause the signs you described.

This is an emergency situation and she needs to see a vet with ferret experience IMMEDIATELY.

check this link to find a vet near you that understands ferrets:

http://aemv.org/index.php/members/vet-locator​

In the meantime, keep her warm, hydrated and try to keep some calories in her. There is not much else you can do at home.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director