Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I am concerned with my guinea pigs eye. It is protruding and

Customer Question

I am concerned with my guinea pigs eye. It is protruding and looks lik there is a lump on it, it is opaque. He is eating and behaving normally and i hav been usin fucithalmic vet ointment but it has got worse
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your guinea pig. You appear to be describing a staphyloma which is an abnormal protrusion of the uveal (iris and its attachments) tissue through a weak point in the globe of the eye. This occurs due to weakening of the outer layer of the cornea by an inflammatory, traumatic or degenerative condition. This would be difficult to confirm in such a small patient without careful and magnified examination of the cornea but if found would most likely indicate a surgical correction of the corneal defect. Strict infection control is imperative and so the area might be cultured in order to identify which bacterial agents are present and then antibiotic sensitivity testing performed. Alternatively, a very potent and broad spectrum antibiotic ophthalmic ointment or solution in the fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics might be prescribed. Neither Optrex products nor fusidic acid products are as potent or broad spectrum.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.