Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My shih Tzu has MRSA, is there a holistic way to treat this?

Customer Question

my shih Tzu has MRSA, is there a holistic way to treat this? He is currently on Chloramphenicol 300mg caps. He is itching constantly.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in holistic and integrative care of pets. I have used integrative, which combines the best of conventional and alternative treatments, with my own dogs for over 15 years. I suspect the reason no one responded earlier is that there is no simple holistic remedy for MRSA. It's important to continue the prescription your vet gave you. However, many people report getting relief for their dogs by using emu oil along with their prescription. You can buy emu oil in health food stores, or here is an online source of some made just for pets: http://www.allaboutemu.com/healthy-pets In cases of skin infection , it is usually applied to the skin, but formulations made to be ingested can also be mixed in the food. Since your dog is itching, I would try massaging it into his skin. Remember to use good hygiene when handling him, since the infection can be transmitted to humans. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope the emu oil will help with the itching. Anna