Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My oldest ferret Brodie is ~6-7 years old and he is having a

Customer Question

Hello! My oldest ferret Brodie is ~6-7 years old and he is having a few problems. He is currently taking Prednisolone 1 mg twice daily, Bio sponge, amoxicilin 50mg/ml with 500mg Sucralfate in it 0.25mL twice daily, and fortiflora. He is suspected to have insulinoma and IBD (most likely has lymphoma too) but he has been doing really well until tonight. He was up this morning, bright and alert, ate all of his baby food and was his normal self. Tonight when I came home he was up and alert but didn't run to the kitchen and beg for his baby food. He is lethargic, not wanting to eat, and looks like he doesn't feel well. I gave him 20mL subcutaneous fluids, infant gasX, and 0.11mL Ondansetron. Is there anything else I can do? I don't want him to go too long without a good meal so he doesn't plumit but I also do not want to force him to eat. HELP!
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Exotics and small animals. I suspect that Brodie may have had a drop in glucose levels leaving him lethargic. This would make sense if he has Insulinoma. You may have to syringe feed. You can try balancing the glucose by taking a,little Karo Syrup and rubbing it on the Gums. Once he responds a bit try feeding him. If he does not respond and want to eat, we need to go to syringe feeding. He cannot go without food. With insuinoma food needs to be going in. You can read about the Insulinoma glucose drop in this article and repeats what I just suggested: http://miamiferret.org/insulinoma.htm

It is important to balance the glucose levels and get Brodie eating on his own again.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Checking in to see if you tried the syrup and if it seemed to help. If he has not started eating again I suggest syringe feeding with food.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Brodie. How is everything going?
Joan