Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I went out of town to the beach and my feeder was not

Customer Question

I went out of town to the beach and my feeder was not working for my Oscars and my other Oscars are fine I have five of them and a nether fish called a blue patriot and they have been together for a year and a half with no issues my biggest and oldest Oscar is really sick He is breathing really heavy and is at the bottom of the tank I removed all the other ones from that tank he has not ate or nothing since I got home today on one side of him it looked like there is scrapes like on some of his skin and also at the bottom of him there is bumps plus he also looks bloated I'm not used to him being as chunky now he is a very big Oscar usually and very long but I'm not used to the way he looks right now very concerned especially if I'm going to pay $45 to ask a question and when I first got home before I moved him out of The big tank his eyes seemed like they were swollen and actually poked out I don't know what's going on but he is the Oscar I've had the longest and I'm worried now that he's just laying at the bottom of the tank and it couldn't have happened and I might not have much more time because I was on vacation and wasn't aable to catch it on time or might not be able to figure out what it is
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My Name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and a Fish Keeper for over 40 years. I would like to ask some questions and get some information to be best able to assist you. Please do not rate until you have receive a satisfactory answer.

Can you tell me the size of the tank?

Have you checked Water Parameters which would be the Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH?

What type of test kit are you using?

Are the eyes still protruding?

Do the scales have a pine cone look or is the abdomen just bloated?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me the size of the tank?

What type of test kit are you using?

Are the eyes still protruding?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I change the water and put him in a tank by his cell but he still at the bottom still breathing heavy with mouth open he was in a 55 gallon tank but I put him in a smaller bout a 40 gallon until I find out what's wrong I've never had a issue with him and a year and a half on one of his sides it do look like dark marks Like he was burnt and his whole body seems to be a little bloated but there is bubbles or bumps on the bottom of his body that I'm not used to and I'm not talking about the hole in the head it's at the bottom bottom of his belly but he's in new water
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Did you do a full water change or a partial change?

Do you have a text kit to test the water? If not I suggest picking up an API Master test kit.

I have suspicions of what is happening, but need to get all details.

Were all the Oscars in the one 55 gallon tank?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they were all in that tank for the last year and a half and I never had an issue by the time I get an answer my fish is going to be dead and that's sad I paid $45 for that just saying
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I needed to ask questions to be best able to assist you. The tank for all those fish is way too small too small. They should have 15-20 gallons a fish Water quality plays very heavily in how the fish do and I suspect that you had a water quality problem which has caused ammonia burns as well as the bloat you are seeing. This link goes over size of a tank for Oscars: http://www.oscarfishlover.com/tank-setup

I suspect that you are seeing Swim Bladder Disease which affects a fish's swim bladder. This is the organ that helps in maintaining a fish's ability to balance and swim in a normal position. When it becomes blocked up or too full of air it stops functioning properly. This can be a result of water quality, Kidney disease or a Bacterial infection. Poor water quality can play a major issue contributing to the Swim Bladder problem. The first step to helping is to check your water quality. The Ammonia should be 0, Nitrites 0 and the Nitrates 20 ppm or less. You should have an API test kit to check the levels.

We can try some first aid to help the fish.

1) First do a 35% water change and be sure to add some de-chlorinator or use bottle Spring water for replacement. We never do a full water change especially with a sick fish because of the Nitrogen cycling process can be eve harder on the fish.

2) Next please feed a couple of frozen peas in which the shell has been removed. You will need to be sure you crush the peas for the fish. This helps the stool to pass and will sometimes help to relieve the problem.

3) I also suggest using aquarium salt at 1 teaspoon of the salt per gallon of water. The Salt helps to draw out fluids that can cause swelling in the swim bladder disease. The Aquarium salt also will help a natural slime on the skin to help heal the Ammonia Burns.

These are a few of links that give you information about swim bladder disease:

http://www.netpets.org/fish/reference/freshref/swimbldr.html

http://www.fishfriend.com/articles/the_swim_bladder_disease.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/364175/swim_bladder_disease_in_goldfish_how.html?cat=53

There are some other methods of treating swim bladder which include reducing the amount of water in the tank which helps to decompress the swim bladder, but I would only use that as a last resort.

This link will help you locate Fish Vets if the treatment does not help: http://www.koivet.com/a_fishvets.html If the problem is bacterial or a Kidney issue it can compound the problems.I suggest you get an API

master test kit to test the water asap, because if this is a water quality problem because of over crowding, your other fish can eventually suffer. For the ill fish you will want to pick up some Stress coat to treat the fish. If the Ammonia is over 0, Nitrites over 0 or Nitrates more than 20 ppm you will need to do a 25% water change.

If you changed 100% of the water in the ill fish's tank monitoring the water parameters will be the utmost importance. It will go through a New Tank syndrome you can read about that here https://www.cs.duke.edu/~narten/faq/cycling.html to help this problem, you can add some Nitrifying bacteria to help the cycling, do 25% water changes and test your water. You can also add some rock that has algae on it to help start the tank and aid in the Nitrogen cycle. The whole process in saving the sick fish will be keeping the water quality and parameters correct. He may need an antibiotic, but first stem is stabilizing him in the tank.

Joan