Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a 14 week old Westie puppy and he has been sleeping a

Customer Question

I have a 14 week old Westie puppy and he has been sleeping a lot lately. He doesn't seem to have the puppy energy he has had in the past. He is eating well and his stool looks normal. Should I be worried?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.

Does your little guy have any vomiting? If there is no vomiting, no diarrhea, and appetite is good then he is most likely fine. Also has he had any ticks on him recently?IF not then he is probably fine. The one other thing you might want to check out is to have him checked for internal parasites. Please let me know if you notice anything else at all. And feel free to post any other questions of concerns you have as I check my computer each night and will get back to you. Most Sincerely,DRB

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No vomiting and he is an inside puppy so I don't think any ticks. What would cause internal parasites?
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.

All puppies are born with internal parasites. Becuase of the life cycle of the roundworm and hookworm puppies get the parasites through the placenta of the mother and through the milk, regardless of parasite status of mother. The form puppies get come from encysted forms in the adults which start to move and come out of dormancy during birthing (whelping). If your puppy has not been checked and dewormed at least 3-4 times as a puppy that could be the culprit. DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.

I will check my computer again tomorrow night in case you have other questions about your little guy. Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are most puppies that age deformed that many times. He has been to the vet 2xs for shots and such but I'm not sure about the number of deworming procedures? Would his stool look different if he did have a parasite?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not deformed meant dewormed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.

If you go to the website for the companion animal parasite control counsel you will find that all puppies are supposed to be dewormed at least 3-4 times as puppies and also have stool checks done 3-4 times. Some vets are very slack about this and that can cause problems. This is standard procedure at our practice and it is appropriate procedure for the health and wellness of a puppy. Only receiving two sets of vaccines is also inadequate. Puppies should receive 3-4 DHLPP vaccines starting around 7-8 weeks of age and every 3-4 weeks through 18 weeks of age. Also a Rabies vaccine should be given at 16 weeks of age. And Now with canine flu spreading like wildfire they should also receive the flu vaccine. I hope this helps you. I have to turn in for the night as I have surgery early tomorrow but as I said I am back online tomorrow night in case you have more questions. Most Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr. B thank you so much!! Good night!
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.

you are welcome. I will check back with you tonight.

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
HI this is DRB. Do you have any other questions for me? I will be online another 30 minutes and will check back with you tomorrow night. If you don't have any other questions you can go ahead and accept my answer.
Most Sincerely, DrB
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B