Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My bettafish has a disease that is eating s fin. I have used

Customer Question

My bettafish has a disease that is eating his fin. I have used bettafix but he still has it. HELP, what can ,I ,do?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. I'm sorry to hear of your betta's illness. The Bettafix may not be strong enough. Some additional information will help me determine what will be the next best step.
How long has the fin been like this?
How long did you use the Bettafix?
Have you tested the water? If yes, what numbers in parts per million (ppm) did you get?
Thank you.
Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. It appears you went offline without seeing my request for more information. Because I am logging off for the night shortly, and I don't want you to have to wait, I'm going to answer without knowing those things.

This sounds like a stubborn case of fin rot. It will take real antibiotics to clear it up. This infection is usually caused by gram negative bacteria. Maracyn Two is most effective against this type. Other antibiotics, including tetracycline can be also used, but I've found the Maracyn 2 to be most effective. Here is an online source if you can't find it locally:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4842

There are some other things to consider. The tank should be kept at 76*F to 78*F because those temperatures inhibit the growth of the bacteria. Water quality must be perfect. I would do a 100% water change, using water that has had the chlorine removed and is the same temperature as what is in the tank. Remove carbon from the filter if you have one. Then treat with Maracyn 2 according to the package directions. If water conditions are not kept perfect, no medicine will work. It's best to test for ammonia and nitrites every day. You want them at zero.

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I'll check back in the morning to see if you need anything else. I hope your betta will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!