Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

Wondering what the is on my guniea pig's ear? Thx help.

Customer Question

Wondering what the white is on my guniea pig's ear? Thx for your help.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in small animals and exotics.

Could you please post a picture of the ear so I can have a visual of it?

Can you tell me the diet?

Bedding used?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Guniea pig is pretty new. Had only a week. Feeding it regular food from pet store. Have given her some oranges. Here is a picture. She had the white on her ear when we bought her.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I just viewed the Picture and it looks like Mites on the ear. This is a picture of Mites and if you notice it looks very similar: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51278&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1372555628

This will need to be addressed by a Vet who is familiar with Guinea Pigs and exotics. They will do a skin scraping to identify the type of mite causing the problem. Since you just got the Guinea Pig, if it came from a Pet Shop I would alert them to the fact you have to take the Guinea Pig t the Vet for this problem and see if they will reimburse you for the visit.

Make sure the guinea pig is getting a Vitamin Supplement daily since they cannot manufacture Vitamin C in the body.

This is a link fr guinea pig Vets: http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service positive so I can be compensated for my time and answers.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the typical treatment for the mites?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Ivermectin injectable and and oral are what is used to treat this problem. But a Skin scraping needs to be done first to positively identify the problem and then the Vet will decide the course of medication and how it will be administered. This is about treatment: http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service positive so I can be compensated for my time and answers.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it contagious to our animals? We have another guniea pig it is sharing a cage with. What about humans or other animals not in contact with it?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Yes you will want to separate the Guinea Pigs, it should not bother anyone else. I would clean the enclosure and change the bedding as well. It does need treatment as soon as you can get the guinea pig into the Vet.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to see if you need more help with this issue or if you have further concerns.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lorne Fisher,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan