Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My dogs eye has been red three days and I am wondering if it

Customer Question
My dogs eye has been...
My dogs eye has been red for about three days and I am wondering if it is something serious or if it will heal in its own! He doesn't seem to be in any pain at all!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
8/2/2015
Pet Specialist: Dwight Alleyne ,
 replied 2 years ago
Dwight Alleyne

Hello there, My name Dr. Alleyne and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with Colby Jack today. Thanks for the pictures. I just has a few questions regarding the eye. Is there any discharge coming from the eye? Is he squinting the eye at anytime? or rubbing at it?

Hey Dr. Allen! He doesn't seem to be bothered with it at all so not itching or squinting but there is some discharge which just seems to be just normal "sleepy eye" but producing more of it! Mostly in the morning!Jamey
Pet Specialist: Dwight Alleyne ,
 replied 2 years ago

Thanks again for the pictures. I can't see the whole eye but what I can see it seems like just a small area is red and not the whole eye or whites of the eye. Is that correct?

It's a small area to the right of the cornea on his left eye ball. It is not the whole eye or the other eye! Thank you
Pet Specialist: Dwight Alleyne ,
 replied 2 years ago

Okay thanks, ***** ***** like a blood blister or a bruise on the eye, which I sometimes see with trauma to the eye either from a nail or running into a wall etc. Has it gotten worse, stayed the same, or improved over the 3 days he had it?

It seems to have gotten slightly worse but only slightly and that could be because I have started worrying more, you know? Haha!
Pet Specialist: Dwight Alleyne ,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok since Colby Jack does not seem to be in pain and there is no discharge, it is unlikely an emergency. But I would recommend that it is looked at by a veterinarian to make sure it does not need medication to heal

hey Dr. Alleyne- Is there an over the counter method you would recommend? I would rather avoid the expensive vet route if something else may be able to heal. Please let me know.-Jamey
Pet Specialist: Dwight Alleyne ,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello Jamey, Since there is no specific diagnosis for what is going on with the eye, I wouldn't recommend anything over the counter. If Colby Jack is doing fine, no rubbing or discharge, then I would probably give it a week if you don't wish to go to the veterinarian. If it is getting worse or seems bigger then I would get it checked out. If it is due an injury and it is not bothering then it is likely it will go away after some time passes.

Pet Specialist: Dr. Gary, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Gary. I saw that you requested a second opinion.

I would have to agree with Dr. Alleyne. It doesn't look like a typical corneal ulcer or conjunctivitis case. I do think there was some type of trauma to that lateral surface of the sclera. I would definitely want to stain the eye and look for any corneal ulcers or abrasions. If the staining is normal, then an antibiotic drop would probably be nice to get this to heal completely. The fact that it has worsened some makes me think an over the counter or wait and see approach is not a good idea. If it's the same or slightly worse after 3 days, then it really should be evaluated.

As for cost, between the cost of the exam, staining and meds, I would bet the total bill is still < 150. It shouldn't be too bad.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

thank you so much! I appreciate your answer!-Jamey

You're welcome. Happy to help.

Dr. Gary, Veterinarian